For Job Seekers
Sometimes the biggest hurdle for a job seeker overcoming is the fear of the job search process – writing cover letters and resumes, completing job applications, and interviewing. This is especially true if it has been a long time since you searched for a new job. The Western Maryland Consortium is prepared to assist you with a wide range of services to enhance your skills and increase your confidence. Your employment is our goal.
Our orientation is your first step to discover all of the services that we offer, contact us to find a time at an office closest to you. After attending one of our orientations, you will be paired with one of our career counselors who will be your point of contact and assist you along your journey. Together you and a career counselor will create an individualized employment plan based on your unique skills, interests, and goals. Matching your skills, training and experience to the right employer and position means that you’ll be happier in your next job… and your employer will be more satisfied too.
Resumes and Other Correspondence
When was the last time you prepared a resume? The staff at Western Maryland Consortium can help you create a resume or update your existing one, identifying “power words” that will grab the attention of potential employers. We can also help you craft a proper cover letter to accompany your resume and thank you notes to send after the interview. It is our business to be up-to-date on what potential employers expect and help you make a memorable applicant.
Seventy percent of all applications are never read – do you know why? What color inks turn off to potential employers? How are some applications a small test of your ability to follow directions? Our staff has experience in making your application stand out in a positive way and ensure it’s one of the 30% that secures an interview.
How would you respond to the following questions?
- Why are you the right person for this position?
- What are your abilities?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had a problem at work and how you resolved the problem?
- Are you ready to be interviewed by a team?
- Do you know how to be positive about previous employment, while still being truthful?
- Do you know how to explain a poor work history or how to be specific about gaps in employment?
The Western Maryland Consortium staff can help you prepare for interviews through discussion, evaluation, and practice. We work to build your resume, your skills, and your confidence.
VR Headsets for Career Explorations
- Are you interested in or wanting to try out Virtual Training? Western Maryland Consortium has VR Headsets available.
- Utilize the latest technology.
- Try it before committing time and money.
- A great way to explore a variety of training.
- With career exploration in the following areas:
To start on your path to employment, make an appointment today by contacting any of our western Maryland offices in Oakland, Cumberland, and Hagerstown. Our agency has so much to offer and is ready to assist you.